From the Sidelines
Local Leadership Information
About the Owner/Executive Director: Anthony Calvano is a professional soccer player, a gifted soccer teacher and a kid enthusiast! He played for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, the area's professional soccer team, before retiring in 2012. He played professionally for eight years. Anthony played at Penn State University, making it to the Elite 8 and winning a Big Ten Championship.
Anthony has coached high school, middle school and club soccer and has worked with thousands of youth soccer players as a Soccer Shots instructor. In addition to playing and coaching soccer, Anthony has a degree in elementary education from Penn State. Anthony is an active member of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) and Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children (PAEYC).
Above everything else is that Anthony loves being able to positively impact kids through the game of soccer!
Contact: Anthony@soccershots.org or 724-705-5044
Tim Jones, Director of Soccer Shots Pittsburgh North: As a Pittsburgh native, Tim has been involved with numerous team sports, youth sport organizations and various charity events within the region. A graduate from California University of Pennsylvania with a B.A. in sports management, and soon a master's in sports management, Tim brings a wealth of knowledge and a strong background in youth sports. He played a key role in developing the Sto-Rox Youth Soccer Association and has helped build character and team play in youth baseball, basketball and football associations. Tim believes that motivation and inspiration at an early age can help build character and cognitive skills. The program that Soccer Shots delivers is unmatched and can provide a solid stepping stone in providing children with the chance to grow socially, personally, emotionally and build motor skills -- all while having fun in a healthy, structured environment.
Contact: Tjones@soccershots.org or 412-889-4899
Sean Carney, Director:
Sean Carney was introduced to soccer at the age of 3 and instantly fell in love. Growing up in Pittsburgh, he played for several teams including the Pittsburgh Strikers and Woodland Hills High School. After obtaining a sports management degree from West Virginia University, Sean decided it was time to give something back to the sport that has given him so much. Sean has dedicated his time to coaching countless numbers of children, both in outdoor soccer, as well as futsal. He believes Soccer Shots is an amazing program that not only helps children on the field, but more importantly off the field, as well. The kids might not know it, but they are learning life lessons that they can use later on in life. To be able to help out in a child’s development, however small, is very gratifying.
Contact: email@example.com or 412-477-4275
Soccer Shots Goals and Coaching Philosophies
As Soccer Shots instructors, we have been given the unique opportunity to coach and invest in the lives of children. For many of these children, it will be their first time playing an organized sport -- and we treat this opportunity with great honor. In order to accomplish our objective to provide a great experience in a child's week, we commit the following goals and coaching philosophies:
1. To seek 100% participation
2. To approach every session with two objectives: FUN for every child and LEARNING new skills and concepts. These two objectives work together, and our mission is not fulfilled if both objectives are not met.
3. To make the experience POSITIVE for every child enrolled. Small accomplishments for some can be HUGE. We take a "You can do it!" approach to everything we teach. Constant encouragement is essential to this philosophy.
4. To influence children in areas of healthy living habits -- we talk about exercising daily, taking care of our bodies (warm-up and stretch), and enjoying activity, even if it's not soccer.
5. To influence children in areas of strong character: Traits such as respect, honesty, positive attitude, and encouragement are just a few examples of character traits we hope to pass on to the children we work with.
Owner/Executive Director - Soccer Shots Pittsburgh
Director - Soccer Shots Pittsburgh
Director - Soccer Shots Pittsburgh